Saturday, March 15, 2014

Week #9 Contribution to Learning

Blog #9 Contribution to Learning

As I entered into the scary world of “game mechanics” I realize I am getting closer to the actual creation of games...this is not a happy time for me since I have no idea what I am doing.  But, I did share a big discovery, at least to me, that I shared with my group.  This discovery was “Game Star Mechanic”.  This site allows me to create a game with all the mechanics necessary to make it fun and interesting to students and yet, makes it simple for me to use.  I shared this with my group as a possible option for creating our game in the future.  The link is:  https://gamestarmechanic.com/join/gamebld101/free.

At this point, I haven’t heard anything from other members of my group to determine if this site was actually helpful, but it sure did make me relax a bit.

I also shared with several classmates my thoughts on the “what”, “where” and “how”.  Oftentimes I get on my soapbox and share info that can be offensive to some...I really try to express my opinion cautiously, but sometimes I really get “riled up” and type faster than my brain and filter work.  I hope I didn’t say anything offensive this week.  I really try to respond to the quotes from sources by students rather than with the student themselves...this usually keeps me out of trouble as I state an opinion contradictory to the blog.  I guess after 30 years in and out of the classroom, I believe that I have learned a few things and sometimes share them whether they are wanted or not.  

I did appreciate Chris’ blog and responded that I often see teachers skip the “what” and move directly into the “how” with complete failure.  To often, I told her, I see teachers dump the “old stuff” and grab onto the “new stuff” with abandon, forgetting that the old stuff is often necessary to do the new stuff.

I was really interested in Scott’s blog since it seemed to center around math, which I teach.  I suffer along with him when it comes to trying fun learning projects in math while still trying to get through the required material for standards.  Sometimes it just isn’t possible to do that.

Finally, I responded to Megan’s post about teachers providing the tools for students to make sense and create knowledge.  OK, I will probably get in trouble for saying this, but there is a limit to open-mindedness.  I read a quote once that said, “If you become too open-minded, your brains may fall out”.  I agree with this.  We cannot just whole-heartedly embrace every idea that comes down the path.  One that I particularly had a hard time with was a quote Megan included in her post which said, “our opinions are the answer”.  Boy, really?  Some things are just plain true without any room for discussion.  If things were not true the world would be in total chaos and cease to exist from my perspective.  I think someone’s brains fell out with that statement...just my opinion : )
I also mentioned that it is good to allow students to be involved in their learning, but they aren’t always mature enough (either are adults) to learn the things necessary to be successful in life.  They need guidance along the way to help steer them down the path of education.  Whether we like to be told what to do or not, to be successful in life, we must follow a certain path.  If I want to be a math teacher, I do not have the choice to get there anyway I want...I must follow a certain path.

Anyway, this weeks information learned kept me pretty passionate about some things.  I am pretty conservative in my thinking, so I probably believe quite differently than some, but hopefully I said a few things that caused some folks to think.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Gary-

    I completely agree with you concerning many of your beliefs. Definitely our opinions ARE NOT the answer...however, informed opinions are one answer! And the key there is, *informed*. How good is the information on which we build those opinions? Who informs our thinking? What is the bias behind that information? I think these are the questions we should be asking our students. I believe strongly that if I "tell" a student something, it will go in one ear and out the other...but if I ask the question, require an answer, and push for good resources on which the opinion is based, thinking often changes. Not always :-) but often...Thank you for your passion on behalf of Alaska's students!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary,

    I cannot speak for everyone, but over the course of our classes together I have really come to appreciate your opinions and advice. I learned a few years ago that looking to other teachers with more experience is probably one of your best resources as an educator.

    You certainly make me think about things. Great post! Opinions are great but without information and background knowledge I don't think we can even formulate opinions accurately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I really appreciate your raw honesty and also your determination. I found myself trying to drop this course as I found I was lost. I did not know what I was doing. Nor did I feel like I was helping because I was lost.Now I am in a panic to get things done. Thanks Gary for all your hardwork.

    ReplyDelete